Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SF Taboo.

Asked the question on Mind Meld:

Once upon a time, sf/f was full of taboos: no swearing, no sex, etc. We're thankfully past those days, but are there any taboos still remaining or new ones that have sprung up? Have you ever had trouble with publishing something, or caught yourself self-censoring?

I found myself at a bit of a loss but, came up with this answer:

Well, every writer has had trouble getting stuff published, but probably because they breached the publishing world taboo of writing crap. For me, beyond 2000 when I was taken on by Macmillan, I've been censored all the time in that respect - it's called editing. But no, I don't really have much trouble getting stuff published and I don't self censor ... except all the time in regard to that first publishing taboo. Doubtless, in years to come some minority group lobby will run out of larger targets and focus its attention on SF books, and then violence, drinking, smoking and excessive consumption of beefburgers will be a no no. I just hope I'm in a position to give them the finger by then.

Other writers and those commenting have produced other answers over here. Some people might even find all this interesting. I have to add that I do self censor here -- in fact I did it in the last sentence.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry OT but I think you like this

http://www.order-order.com/2009/03/hannan-tells-gordon-he-is-pathologically-incapable/

Now watch it and tell me you weren't begging his to shout "Sit up and listen" to the fucker Brown

Unknown said...

Living in the UK, Neal, you may have been lucky enough to miss the recent U.S. SFF donnybrook about the hurt feelings of women, minorities and people who make a loud point of sympathizing with them in the SFF writing and publishing rackets. They even gave it a cute name: "RaceFail '09": http://wiki.feministsf.net/index.php?title=RaceFail_09

It was pretty funny, in the tragedy-to-those-who-feel-comedy-to-those-who-think way.

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

after Image of the Beast, all the written apefuck in goat guts and obligatory baby eating of the past 40 years The Skinner was a big barrel of candy for me. too sweet!

if it's offensive s.f. i will probably have to read it.